Reef Revival Dives & Coral Workshop
- Duration: 4 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Big Pine Key, FL
- Product code: PTFKU4
Reef Revival Ecotourism Experience
Reef Revival Dives & Coral Workshop
MOTE Marine Laboratories and Capt. Hook’s Team Up for the Coral in the Middle and Lower Keys
By establishing a program that includes both educational opportunity and practical hands on underwater experiences, we can multiply ourselves by using the divers that want to make a difference. At Mote, they have been saving the oceans for years through dedication and science that has made a difference. For us at Capt. Hook’s, it is simple, dedicate ourselves to being part of the solution and we can continue to bring the ocean to new divers and new anglers everyday.
"We, at Capt. Hook's, are trying to do our part as an operator that teaches conservation and careful use techniques every time we teach a new diver or bring divers to the reef through our Blue Star program through NOAA and now through our association with MOTE Labs in this new Coral Revival Program."
Here is what you get for your ecotourism experience:
On Day 1 workshop in the morning, you will learn about corals, the different diseases and other issues affecting our reefs, and how to fragment and plant corals to help revive them. Then go out to dive and do it! Our scientifically experienced dive staff and Mote’s scientists will dive with you to not only ensure a truly worthwhile experience but a productive one!
For Day Two, you will dive again with the Reef Revival team in the morning, doubling your impact and contribution to the reef revival effort, if you can or any future Reef Revival Dive.
IMPORTANT: Day 1 workshop is required to participate. It is where you will acquire all of the essential knowledge to become a reef revivalist. After you have completed the workshop, you can then book and dive any future Reef Revival Dive offered.
Proceeds go to Mote Marine Laboratory to sustain the program and keep our efforts focused on total revival of the Florida Keys reefs.
- Must have Open Water Diver certification
- Saturday Reef Revival Classroom begin at 8AM at Mote’s Elizabeth Moore International Center for Coral Reef Research & Restoration located at 24244 Overseas Highway, Summerland Key, FL 33042. Approximate length of the training is 3.5 to 4 hours.
- It is recommended to stop at Murry's Grocery Store on Summerland Key for something to carry-out to eat prior to coral dive check in.
- Reef Revival Dive Check-in Location: Capt. Hook's Big Pine Key, located just off of U.S. 1 at Mile Marker 29.5. The address is 29675 Overseas Highway, Big Pine Key, Florida 33043
- Reef Revival Dive Departure Check-in time: Please check in 60 minutes before the departure time. (Important!)
- Reef Revival Dive Departure time: 1:30PM
- Duration: 4 hours (approx.)
- Tanks, Air Fills & Weights
- Freshwater showers at the dock.
- In-Water DiveMaster to guide the trip. Our guides are there to show you the highlights of the reef and to add an experienced dive professional to the group. It is entirely your choice
- Dive equipment is available to rent at a discount or you can bring your own equipment.
- Gratuities (optional)
What To Bring
- Confirmation Email
- Bathing suit
- It is always a good idea to stop in to see us @ Capt. Hook's Big Pine Key, located just off of U.S. 1 at Mile Marker 29.5. The address is 29675 Overseas Highway, Big Pine Key, Florida 33043. We love to see our adventurers before the event so we can get to know you, make friends and provide you with any detailed information about your trip.
- As with any activity that requires Mother Nature to cooperate, this activity may be cancelled due to wind, weather, visibility and sea conditions in which case you will be allowed to reschedule (subject to availability), receive full refund, store credit or receive credit for a future event/dive trip.
- Guests cannot participate if under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or have any existing medical conditions that put them or others at risk.
Advance Purchase Recommended
Upon booking, you will receive your receipt in a email confirmation. We recommend booking in advance to ensure your space on the boat.
Booking Confirmation Info
Bring your email confirmation with you on the day of your activity if you have booked in advance.